Come change the world with us!
We are looking for talented, forward-thinking, energetic individuals who want to change the world and help provide quality healthcare to women, children, and their families around the world.
Location: New York, NY
Travel: Up to 15%
You will lead the development of high quality grant proposals for government agencies, multilateral and bilateral institutions, and major foundations to support CMMB’s new strategy around improving the lives of women and children, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Programs & Volunteers. This position will work in a highly collaborative cross-team environment across departments, technical staff, and country offices. You will support evaluations of major grants to ensure cross-organizational learning, improved knowledge management and the institutionalization of best practices. You will have direct reports and will ensure grant proposals are fully compliant, efficiently supported, technically clear and accurate, and adhere to CMMB’s style and global strategy. You will need to be able to effectively build and manage relationships with partner and donor agencies, and other internal and external stakeholders, including integration with our CHAMPS model and in support of the building of public-private partnerships. This role is expected to lead strategically and be willing to significantly engage in operational activities.
- Manage and lead high-quality proposal development and technical writing for award opportunities from government agencies, multilateral and bilateral institutions, and major foundations.
- Manage the grant proposal team and consultants to submit successful bids.
- Team effectively with internal and external stakeholders to best position for success in achieving strategy.
- Research, analyze, develop, and track relationships with new and current prospects for proposals and produce reports, capability statements, agreements, etc. for their development and management.
- Lead, collaborate, and participate in the entire grant proposal process, including conceptualization, performing research, producing compelling content, making revisions, submission and follow-ups.
- Monitor the competitive landscape, testing new approaches and adopting best practice strategies.
- Lead and participate in proposal-related meetings, both in the US and at the country level as necessary.
- Lead CMMB’s business intelligence gathering and networking to pro-actively form or join consortia and partnerships which match our mission and strategy.
- Lead and manage employees in your area, ensuring clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved. Ensure individuals’ performance and development needs are met and employees are high performing and engaged. Produce systematic performance indicator reporting to inform management as to progress, roadblocks, and other relevant performance details.
Qualifications & Requirements
You have 8+ years of work experience in international NGOs, including business development roles that demonstrate ability to perform these responsibilities, including experience with funders like USG, GFTAM, UN system, DfiD, GAC, EU, etc. You have a Master’s degree in a development-related subject (public health or health discipline required). You have developed successful proposals in MCH and/or WASH/nutrition, and have experience working in Africa and/or in Latin America/Caribbean on development programs.
Your business development experience has included pre-solicitation research and partnership formation; design, development and submission of complete and competitive proposal packages; and submission follow-up to ensure lessons learnt are carried forward to future submissions.
You have direct experience remotely supporting proposal development teams, and have a demonstrated ability to undertake the analyses needed to highlight where CMMB has a comparative advantage in business opportunities and lead our subsequent response in a systematic way while thinking creatively in consortium formation and proposal design.
You have a knack for building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders, and have experience working in a headquarters-based setting and collaborating closely with country offices.
You’re a timely and effective communicator with superior presentation skills and proven skills building human resources and building the capacity of field-based staff.
French and/or Spanish language skills are desirable, and you are comfortable working for a faith-based organization.
You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and your CV/resume to email@example.com.
In Côtes‐de‐Fer, Sud‐Est département, where a rudimentary clinic provides the sole health care, CMMB is establishing a small community reference hospital with a summer 2016 opening, the Bishop Joseph Sullivan Hospital (BJSH). The expectation is for BJSH to become a magnet for community members and a national model for a high-quality, sustainable, modern rural medical center, equipped with modern, industry standard commodities and staffed with expert clinical and administrative professionals knowledgeable about and expert in the best practices of their fields. Integrated into Haiti’s health care system, the hospital will provide four key services (i.e., general medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology) per MSPP specifications for this level of facility. For the local population, numbering between 75,000 and 80,000 individuals, access to such services or such a facility is currently difficult—institutions with similar facilities are distant and hard to reach. The new hospital will bring modern, more advanced care to the area that will make a real difference to the population’s health and well-being. When properly equipped and manned by student and graduate Haitian nurses, doctors, and other providers—supplemented by American volunteers dispatched by CMMB’s volunteer program—the hospital will materially strengthen the health system of this corner of Haiti.
The CEO / Medical Superintendent will head the BJSH. His/her role exists to ensure that the hospital offers the highest-possible quality health care in an affordable and efficient manner while remaining financially viable for the long term. Primary responsibilities for the position include:
- Managing BJSH—the strategic and the day-to-day operations of the entire hospital, clinical and managerial, ensuring that all departments are fully and comprehensive staffed to the extent possible and liaising with and supervising all clinical departments and medical and nonmedical staff to ensure delivery of medical services of high quality within the faith-based environment. This will be done in collaboration and with the help of the Hospital Director of Nursing, Hospital Administrator, laboratory and X-ray department’s in-charges, and others as the situation requires.
- Ensuring that the facility supports the hospital clinical work with sound financial investments, adequate staffing patterns, and strict adherence to BJSH policies and procedures.
- Implementing and facilitating channels of communication within medical and nonmedical staff to ensure that BJSH delivers high-quality medical services in a harmonious manner, following a team approach, reflecting the compassion of and a commitment to the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.
Main Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has overall responsibility for delivery of quality primary and secondary health care. This includes ensuring clinical practices that guarantee high-quality clinical outcomes; providing supervision and advice on clinical activities, including both outpatient and inpatient services, ward rounds, and surgical interventions; promoting a culture of learning and keeping up up-to-date on diagnostic and treatment practices.
- Ensures and/or leads teams to conduct needs assessments and clinical studies and surveys as appropriate and with adherence to national and international clinical ethics.
- Ensures that clinical cases that require treatment beyond BJSH capacity are referred to a higher service in a timely and professional fashion. Develops and implements strategies to ensure that staffs comply with MSPP quality assurance guidelines; monitors service quality and for investigating incidents and complaints in the hospital.
- Chairs bimonthly meetings of the hospital management team (HMT). Together with clinical heads of department, provides leadership in the formulation, implementation, and review of and compliance with all internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) and treatment protocols; ensures adherence at all levels in the facility with MSPP and international standards; oversees adherence to appropriate medical waste management and infection control practices and protocols.
- Together with the pharmacy head of department, holds the final authority for quantifying pharmaceutical needs and ordering all medical drugs and consumables within the approved budget and procedures.
- Represents and manages the relationship and communication between the hospital and district, department, and national health authorities and with local and international donors. Ensures that reports tied to donor contracts and/or MOU are completed timely and with a high level of detail and quality to ensure clarity, compliance, and transparency, and professionally presented.
- Promotes the use and internal consumption of collected data within the facility to inform decisions impacting patient care, financial management, and clinical outcomes. Participates with the ITC (data) head and other heads of departments in data analysis and interpretation.
- Serves as the prime cosignatory for all hospital bank accounts; may designate a prime signatory when required.
Main Managerial Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic leadership to BJSH: Ensures a current and living strategic plan and budget for the period 2016–2021 and ensures that operational plans align to these documents. Manages resource requirements (e.g., expenditure, human resource planning) necessary to deliver against the objectives.
- Ensures favorable staff working environment within approved budget and needs.
- Supervises senior hospital management team activities, ensuring that patients and staff concerns and needs are attended to and that departments are managed proactively with a view to improving efficiency and maintaining professional etiquette.
- Together with the senior resident medical officers, organizes and facilitates capacity-building sessions through mentoring, coaching, in-service trainings, and continuing medical education (CME).
- Leads, with the department heads and the HMT, the personnel recruitment and selection process; periodical and annual appraisals; performance reviews and discipline. Ensures that all medical staff in contact with patients are licensed by their respective professional body; that the licenses are up to date and that a record of such license is kept in the staff personnel files for local and non-Haitian legal residents and citizens. Facilitates and applies for local temporary licenses for medical professionals, when applicable.
- Leads and manages employees, ensuring that clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved. Ensures that individual performance and development needs are met and that employees are high performing and engaged. Produces systematic performance indicator reporting to inform management as to progress, roadblocks, and relevant performance details.
- Chairs meetings with hospital staff and ensures appropriate and periodic CME for staff.
- Promotes and nurtures a culture of good stewardship, accountability, and transparency at all levels of hospital operations.
- Together with the CMMB legal counsel and CMMB Haiti country director, is responsible for representing and or/delegating representation in the event of any legal issue.
- Is accountable and gives feedback and information on any ongoing task as required by the CMMB Haiti country director and the CMMB New York office.
- In consultation with the CMMB Haiti country director and the CMMB New York office and other stakeholders, works collaboratively to develop and implement a fully integrated fundraising and partnership resource mobilization and development strategy, including identification of and response to grant opportunities.
- Facilitates the sustainability of hospital operations via the development of public/private partnerships, collaboration with development partners, research and health and learning institutions in country and abroad.
- Promotes a culture of compliance with government, CMMB, and partner contract policies, rules, and regulations.
- Represents BJSH in critical stakeholder meetings, including CMMB meetings in Haiti and abroad when invited, at district, departmental, and national health meetings, and meetings with donors other local organizations
Note: These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required.
Qualifications & Requirements
Competencies and Skills:
- Deep passion for access to healthcare and social change
- Qualified medical doctor with surgical skills and at least 10 years’ clinical experience; valid medical registration license.
- Previous clinical practice and/or experience working in faith-based hospital(s) or ministries preferred.
- Have a least 5 years’ demonstrated experience in working in health institutions and health programs in Haiti.
- Knowledge of computerized hospital management systems an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; knowledge of the local vernacular creole a plus.
- Previous experience in hospital staff supervision, coaching, and training.
- Previous experience in a similar CEO/medical superintendent position advantage plus.
- A diplomatic personal style, with excellent communication, networking, and management skill s advantage plus.
Essential leadership characteristics and competencies:
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and the ability to translate these skills into flawless operational plans, ensuring implementation of best practices and a competitive advantage for CMMB.
- Exceptional ability to deal with, and lead, change and to present ideas that motivate staff to strive for increased achievement of the CMMB mission, vision, and strategic goals and objectives.
- Exceptional demonstrated interest and ability to lead and inspire individuals and teams and to coach and develop staff. Demonstrated ability to model teamwork behaviors; team building skills.
- An outstanding record that reflects respect for ethics and fiscal stewardship.
- An established track record of good business judgment and financial acumen.
- An exceptional ability to gain the trust of others and to foster collaborative relationships. Proven ability to build collaborative, impactful relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional problem-solving ability—both systematic and data based; the ability to be creative and intuitive, with a flair for thinking outside the box.
- Exceptional ability to be nimble, flexible, and responsive. to apply
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.