Come change the world with us!
We are looking for talented, forward-thinking, energetic individuals who want to change the world and help provide quality healthcare to women, children, and their families around the world.
Location: New York, NY
Travel: Approx. 20%
Reporting to the CEO & President, you will be responsible for leading all people functions of CMMB, to ensure we have the best talent available and to position CMMB as a high-performing organization and employer of choice. You will be the key lead in providing direct human resources support, training and mentoring to country office human resources staff members and their respective Country Directors. You will be responsible for strategic human resources planning with the objective of accelerating the development and implementation of all human resources practices to create a work environment of engaged and resilient employees. It is important that you have experience in operating in cross-cultural environments and are guided by a solid understanding of international human resources best practices with a strong desire to contribute to the international humanitarian sector.
- Plan, implement, and lead the human resource function. Build organizational capability and effectiveness through best practice human resources strategies and business processes that ensure engagement and retention of talented staff.
- Lead human resource practices in the U.S. and country offices in consultation with the Executive Team and Country Directors. Drive competitive and engaged people processes to attract, develop and retain top talent, including general standardization and consistency of practices and global policies. Review and ensure all people processes, in HQ and field offices, are aligned to and support the implementation of our vision and strategy.
- Develop staffing strategies and implementation plans and programs to identify talent within and outside CMMB for positions of responsibility. Identify appropriate and effective external recruitment sources for candidates at all levels of the organization in the U.S. and for specific roles in the country offices.
- Develop human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge, and talent gaps and develop specific programs to fill these gaps. Areas of focus will include talent management through succession-planning programs for key contributor and management positions. Provide strategic advice on organizational development. In so doing, lead the formulation of a global learning and knowledge transfer framework. Identify and recommend in-house mentoring programs and workshops, and external/online training and education opportunities. Emphasis should be placed on value-added activities focused on: building leadership, strengthening management, enhancing technical program skills and improving general business acumen and communication skills.
- Manage end-to-end recruitment and on-boarding, including formulation/revision of appropriate job descriptions, for all U.S. new hires. Provide similar leadership and support, as requested, to Country Directors and country office human resources staff.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to Country Directors and country office human resources staff, in close consultation with the SVP of Programs and CFO, to ensure the existence of effective and efficient organizational structures and staffing, and availability of updated organizational charts that reflect such.
- Develop appropriate policies and programs for effective human capital management, to include effective problem resolution, transparent communications, strengthened employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment prevention, and employee grievances/complaints. Develop best practice diversity programs that enable CMMB to embrace applicants and employees of all backgrounds and encourage their full development and performance.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to the human resources community in the country offices and develop a ‘community of practice.’ Lead the annual update of the U.S. and country office employee handbooks.
- Review and revise global HR tools and processes with the objectives of achieving increased simplification, standardization and automation in order to promote enhanced efficiency and effectiveness in the human resources area. Inform management as to progress, roadblocks, and other relevant performance details.
- Ensure CMMB is compliant with all federal, state and local labor laws in the US. Conduct an annual HR audit, and report findings and recommendations to the CEO & President. Provide education and training on legal requirements and updates to all U.S. staff. Provide similar compliance leadership and support to country offices in consultation with Country Directors, especially to ensure local labor laws are respected in terminating any staff contracts. Ensure preparation and alignment of all consultancy and contractual worker agreements with applicable regulatory guidelines and local labor laws.
- Maintain comprehensive and current US employee files, initiate all related actions and ensure the integrity of all human resources data in the Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Workforce Now. Provide similar leadership and support to Country Directors and country office human resources staff.
- Develop progressive and competitive U.S. compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation and rewards for effective performance. Review and recommend best practice performance management processes and tools. Provide programs for the short-term and long-term health and welfare protection of employees.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the country office compensation and benefits review process in consultation with Country Directors, SVP of Programs and the CFO, ensuring alignment to the global compensation framework to include periodic local salary surveys, and compliance with local regulatory requirements.
- In collaboration with the CFO, assess and select potential vendors, and monitor their performance, especially in the areas of employee benefits and insurances. Lead annual benefits open-enrollment for U.S. staff and answer employee benefit inquiries. Provide similar leadership and support to Country Directors and country office human resources staff.
- Participate in cross-functional teams and perform other relevant duties, as required.
You have 8-10 years of human resources experience, including specialist experience in Employee/Labor Relations, Performance Management, Organizational Development, Compensation and Benefits, and Training and Development. You have at least 5 years of experience working in cross-cultural environments and have proven experience in navigating different cultures effectively. A GPHR is preferred, and/or Masters’ degree in Human Resource Management or International Labor Relations.
You speak the language of best practice international human resources and you have a strong desire to contribute to the international humanitarian endeavor. Your sound HR technical skills, analytical and problem solving ability, good judgement and operational focus is what sets you apart from others. You have a good balance of strategic thinking and ability to delve into details, where needed.
You are trustworthy and viewed as a good educator, always willing to share information, while observing confidentiality. You can relate well to people at all levels and have an exceptional ability to gain the trust of others and foster collaborative relationships. You are an intelligent and articulate person who possess excellent communication skills, and you are experienced in conflict resolution and facilitation.
You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
How to apply
Email your cover letter and resume/CV to HRresumes@cmmb.org.
Location: New York, NY
Travel: Up to 20-30%
As our Senior Specialist, Health, you will bring field-based technical expertise in maternal and child health (MCH) and rural health care service delivery and a passion for and commitment to our mission, in order to guide the planning and execution of the Children and Mothers Partnership (CHAMPS) program. You will also help to drive change – in terms of strategic clarity, high quality programming, excellent project implementation, strong performance management, and technical capacity within the organization – in order to improve our impact on the lives of mothers and children and the well-being of communities we serve, and to position CMMB as a recognized leader in community-based health care delivery.
You will report to our Senior Vice President, Programs and Volunteers, and provide technical leadership and guidance to our country teams and our MCH programming, with specific emphasis on: obstetric care for women, postnatal care for mother and newborn, nutrition, and treatment of diarrhea, pneumonia and other life-threatening childhood diseases; as well as broader critically-needed community health care, such as HIV prevention, malaria prevention and treatment, and water, sanitation & hygiene. You will also lead and guide our work in strengthening local health care systems, both in fixed facilities and through community health care workers. Your key role in mobilizing resources for health work and fostering collaboration within CMMB around CHAMPS is essential, as is your collaboration with key external partners and donors on strengthening our health programming.
We’re looking for a deeply passionate, experienced Senior Specialist, Health who will champion our values, balance strategic thinking with operational excellence, drive growth of our programmatic portfolio and persistently push for superior quality in CHAMPS and programming for women’s and children’s health.
- Act as one of our global health co-technical leads, particularly regarding MCH and community-based health systems strengthening.
- Advise on refinement of our overall CHAMPS strategy and guide country-level program strategy formulation, including advising on most appropriate program performance indicators.
- Define/refine and implement an end-to-end program performance measurement model for CHAMPS, in collaboration with other technical specialists.
- Co-lead the development of operational guidance for our health sector programming and for training field staff and workers, as needed.
- Identify and support the development of opportunities for grants acquisition, and provide technical leadership in proposal development; ensure proposals are built on best practices in the field, to promote high quality programming around women’s and children’s health and local health care systems strengthening.
- Provide technical oversight and leadership to the implementation of health programs; provide in-country technical assistance as needed and appropriate.
- Review project progress reports, with a view towards identifying problems needing remediation so that we are able to deliver high quality programs to stakeholders.
- Measure success and impact, with a view towards identifying activities that merit replicability and/or scaling up.
- Build technical knowledge base and knowledge-sharing platform based on our experience – to enhance our programming and decision-making.
- Document accomplishments and lessons learned and disseminate to other actors in the field so as to position CMMB as a recognized leader in community-based health care delivery.
- Develop and expand engagement with relevant health-related networks to ensure quality improvement in MCH and environmental health programs.
- Represent CMMB with partners on relevant working/technical advisory bodies and at global conferences and meetings.
- Contribute technical content to the development of high quality external communications in alignment with the CHAMPS strategy, including presentations and advocacy materials for donor and partner outreach.
- Provide technical leadership in building a vibrant brand for high impact, life-saving community-based health care delivery for mothers and children.
Qualifications & Requirements
You have 8+ years of program work experience in a senior technical position in international MCH. You have a Master’s degree in Public Health and have experience working in Africa on public health programs. You have hands-on experience in MCH and community-level health care systems strengthening, including at fixed facilities, and your knowledge of the latest international recommendations in these fields are commendable. You speak the language of health program management including experience in proposal development, formulating and monitoring program budgets and work plans, and managing project implementation.
You can demonstrate your direct experience in monitoring progress of country-based projects and working with quantitative data to measure results, as well as undertake problem analysis, to translate technical information into practical guidance and tools, and to organize diverse information in a systematic way, while thinking creatively in proposing approaches that improve program design, implementation and results reporting.
You are a relationship-builder, you build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders. You are a timely and effective communicator with superior presentation skills.
You also have proven skills in mentoring and engaging teams that have varying technical background and levels of technical training, and you have experience in building human resources and lead skills transfer in the public health field.
Although, not a mandatory requirement, it is desired that you have experience with a major bilateral or multilateral MCH project, such as USAID’s Ending Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths (EPCMD), as well as experience in nutrition or water and sanitation or environmental health.
You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and your CV/resume to email@example.com.
In Côtes‐de‐Fer, Sud‐Est département, where a rudimentary clinic provides the sole health care, CMMB is establishing a small community reference hospital with a summer 2016 opening, the Bishop Joseph Sullivan Hospital (BJSH). The expectation is for BJSH to become a magnet for community members and a national model for a high-quality, sustainable, modern rural medical center, equipped with modern, industry standard commodities and staffed with expert clinical and administrative professionals knowledgeable about and expert in the best practices of their fields. Integrated into Haiti’s health care system, the hospital will provide four key services (i.e., general medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology) per MSPP specifications for this level of facility. For the local population, numbering between 75,000 and 80,000 individuals, access to such services or such a facility is currently difficult—institutions with similar facilities are distant and hard to reach. The new hospital will bring modern, more advanced care to the area that will make a real difference to the population’s health and well-being. When properly equipped and manned by student and graduate Haitian nurses, doctors, and other providers—supplemented by American volunteers dispatched by CMMB’s volunteer program—the hospital will materially strengthen the health system of this corner of Haiti.
The CEO / Medical Superintendent will head the BJSH. His/her role exists to ensure that the hospital offers the highest-possible quality health care in an affordable and efficient manner while remaining financially viable for the long term. Primary responsibilities for the position include:
- Managing BJSH—the strategic and the day-to-day operations of the entire hospital, clinical and managerial, ensuring that all departments are fully and comprehensive staffed to the extent possible and liaising with and supervising all clinical departments and medical and nonmedical staff to ensure delivery of medical services of high quality within the faith-based environment. This will be done in collaboration and with the help of the Hospital Director of Nursing, Hospital Administrator, laboratory and X-ray department’s in-charges, and others as the situation requires.
- Ensuring that the facility supports the hospital clinical work with sound financial investments, adequate staffing patterns, and strict adherence to BJSH policies and procedures.
- Implementing and facilitating channels of communication within medical and nonmedical staff to ensure that BJSH delivers high-quality medical services in a harmonious manner, following a team approach, reflecting the compassion of and a commitment to the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.
Main Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has overall responsibility for delivery of quality primary and secondary health care. This includes ensuring clinical practices that guarantee high-quality clinical outcomes; providing supervision and advice on clinical activities, including both outpatient and inpatient services, ward rounds, and surgical interventions; promoting a culture of learning and keeping up up-to-date on diagnostic and treatment practices.
- Ensures and/or leads teams to conduct needs assessments and clinical studies and surveys as appropriate and with adherence to national and international clinical ethics.
- Ensures that clinical cases that require treatment beyond BJSH capacity are referred to a higher service in a timely and professional fashion. Develops and implements strategies to ensure that staffs comply with MSPP quality assurance guidelines; monitors service quality and for investigating incidents and complaints in the hospital.
- Chairs bimonthly meetings of the hospital management team (HMT). Together with clinical heads of department, provides leadership in the formulation, implementation, and review of and compliance with all internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) and treatment protocols; ensures adherence at all levels in the facility with MSPP and international standards; oversees adherence to appropriate medical waste management and infection control practices and protocols.
- Together with the pharmacy head of department, holds the final authority for quantifying pharmaceutical needs and ordering all medical drugs and consumables within the approved budget and procedures.
- Represents and manages the relationship and communication between the hospital and district, department, and national health authorities and with local and international donors. Ensures that reports tied to donor contracts and/or MOU are completed timely and with a high level of detail and quality to ensure clarity, compliance, and transparency, and professionally presented.
- Promotes the use and internal consumption of collected data within the facility to inform decisions impacting patient care, financial management, and clinical outcomes. Participates with the ITC (data) head and other heads of departments in data analysis and interpretation.
- Serves as the prime cosignatory for all hospital bank accounts; may designate a prime signatory when required.
Main Managerial Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic leadership to BJSH: Ensures a current and living strategic plan and budget for the period 2016–2021 and ensures that operational plans align to these documents. Manages resource requirements (e.g., expenditure, human resource planning) necessary to deliver against the objectives.
- Ensures favorable staff working environment within approved budget and needs.
- Supervises senior hospital management team activities, ensuring that patients and staff concerns and needs are attended to and that departments are managed proactively with a view to improving efficiency and maintaining professional etiquette.
- Together with the senior resident medical officers, organizes and facilitates capacity-building sessions through mentoring, coaching, in-service trainings, and continuing medical education (CME).
- Leads, with the department heads and the HMT, the personnel recruitment and selection process; periodical and annual appraisals; performance reviews and discipline. Ensures that all medical staff in contact with patients are licensed by their respective professional body; that the licenses are up to date and that a record of such license is kept in the staff personnel files for local and non-Haitian legal residents and citizens. Facilitates and applies for local temporary licenses for medical professionals, when applicable.
- Leads and manages employees, ensuring that clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved. Ensures that individual performance and development needs are met and that employees are high performing and engaged. Produces systematic performance indicator reporting to inform management as to progress, roadblocks, and relevant performance details.
- Chairs meetings with hospital staff and ensures appropriate and periodic CME for staff.
- Promotes and nurtures a culture of good stewardship, accountability, and transparency at all levels of hospital operations.
- Together with the CMMB legal counsel and CMMB Haiti country director, is responsible for representing and or/delegating representation in the event of any legal issue.
- Is accountable and gives feedback and information on any ongoing task as required by the CMMB Haiti country director and the CMMB New York office.
- In consultation with the CMMB Haiti country director and the CMMB New York office and other stakeholders, works collaboratively to develop and implement a fully integrated fundraising and partnership resource mobilization and development strategy, including identification of and response to grant opportunities.
- Facilitates the sustainability of hospital operations via the development of public/private partnerships, collaboration with development partners, research and health and learning institutions in country and abroad.
- Promotes a culture of compliance with government, CMMB, and partner contract policies, rules, and regulations.
- Represents BJSH in critical stakeholder meetings, including CMMB meetings in Haiti and abroad when invited, at district, departmental, and national health meetings, and meetings with donors other local organizations
Note: These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required.
Qualifications & Requirements
Competencies and Skills:
- Deep passion for access to healthcare and social change
- Qualified medical doctor with surgical skills and at least 10 years’ clinical experience; valid medical registration license.
- Previous clinical practice and/or experience working in faith-based hospital(s) or ministries preferred.
- Have a least 5 years’ demonstrated experience in working in health institutions and health programs in Haiti.
- Knowledge of computerized hospital management systems an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; knowledge of the local vernacular creole a plus.
- Previous experience in hospital staff supervision, coaching, and training.
- Previous experience in a similar CEO/medical superintendent position advantage plus.
- A diplomatic personal style, with excellent communication, networking, and management skill s advantage plus.
Essential leadership characteristics and competencies:
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and the ability to translate these skills into flawless operational plans, ensuring implementation of best practices and a competitive advantage for CMMB.
- Exceptional ability to deal with, and lead, change and to present ideas that motivate staff to strive for increased achievement of the CMMB mission, vision, and strategic goals and objectives.
- Exceptional demonstrated interest and ability to lead and inspire individuals and teams and to coach and develop staff. Demonstrated ability to model teamwork behaviors; team building skills.
- An outstanding record that reflects respect for ethics and fiscal stewardship.
- An established track record of good business judgment and financial acumen.
- An exceptional ability to gain the trust of others and to foster collaborative relationships. Proven ability to build collaborative, impactful relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional problem-solving ability—both systematic and data based; the ability to be creative and intuitive, with a flair for thinking outside the box.
- Exceptional ability to be nimble, flexible, and responsive. to apply
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.