Health & Human Dignity for Women & Children
We believe in the transformative power of women to change their communities, and the potential for children to shape their own futures.
- With the power to access healthcare services and infrastructure, they will live healthier lives.
- With the power of love, respect, and excellence, they will know human dignity.
- With the power of people and partnerships, we can and will change the world.
Access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. We partner globally to build locally sustainable systems to give all people what they need to reach their full potential for health. Our demonstrated commitment to women’s and children’s health includes clinical expertise, non-clinical health services, medical donations, and skilled medical volunteers. Together, we have the capacity to improve the lives of women and children in the poorest communities, where a lack of basic healthcare means needless suffering from preventable diseases and shortened lives.
We’re working to prevent many of the leading causes of illness and death in women and children:
- Almost all maternal deaths occur in developing countries.
- Millions of newborns die every year due to a lack of skilled care during pregnancy.
- Millions of children aged 0-5 years die from the effects of malnutrition each year.
- Thousands of children die from pneumonia or diarrhea every day. Together, these diseases kill over a million children each year.
- Hundreds of children aged 0 to 14 acquire HIV daily.
- Thousands of children die every year from a disease that could have been prevented with a vaccine.
Collaboration and partnership mean we can do more.
Long-established relationships with partners across private, public, and government sectors maximize impact as we work together toward shared goals. Our 100+ year history, financial transparency, and excellent reputation strengthen all our partnerships, including those with host governments and Ministries of Health.
Support from leading pharmaceutical and medical supply companies deploy critical supplies and medications where they are needed most through our Medical Donations Program.
Global goals and partnerships with leading aid and humanitarian institutions including the UN, USAID, and the Global Fund further the impact of our Children And Mothers Partnerships (CHAMPS) model.
We believe in the power of people.
Strong institutional partnerships with universities and corporations open doors to a community of potential volunteers who bring passion and dedication to the field and allow us to implement our programs effectively.
We’re firm in our faith.
Our programs are deeply committed to social justice and helping the poorest of the poor. With strong historical ties to the Jesuit tradition, we embrace excellence, faith, justice, leadership, and community. Our Catholic faith means broad access to faith-based networks of healthcare facilities both in the United States and around the world. In many developing countries, faith-based organizations are the most highly-regarded and well-trusted institutions by individuals, communities, governments, and Ministries of Health. We are committed to supporting mission hospitals, especially in rural and remote areas, where access to healthcare facilities is especially limited.
We make long-term commitments to ensure change.
We know that sustainable solutions take time. Through our CHAMPS model, we’re moving toward a goal of healthier lives worldwide by making long-term commitments to communities of up to 20 years. We’re committed to developing 20 CHAMPS sites across Haiti, Kenya, Peru, South Sudan, and Zambia by 2020.